BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS
Voting

Thursday, August 26, 2010

The 16th Day of Ramadan

Fifteen more days to food and merriment!

Muslims have by now completed 15 days out of the 30-day month of Ramadan. Initially the fasting month was like dragging a pair heavy feet through wet sand; slow and tiring. But as the fasting month reaches its half way point, the days seem to pass by faster and faster.

And with each passing day of Ramadan, Muslims wait impatiently for the sighting of the crescent moon that indicates the end of the fasting month and the first day of the month of Syawal, and the beginning of a month of festivities, that is Hari Raya Aidilfitri.

I used to remember my late mom telling my siblings and me that only those who fulfil a whole month of fasting can celebrate Hari Raya. I always tried to rationalise what she said and to question her why that was so. I now realise that everyone can celebrate Hari Raya, whether or not they complete their month of fasting.

Most of all I understand what she meant when she said that only those who fast can celebrate Hari Raya. What she meant was only those who fast can enjoy the spirit of Hari Raya because if you have fasted then, only then will you get the full joy of celebrating Hari Raya.

No comments:

Post a Comment